Thursday, October 2, 2008

Listening ears

Mary started the 2 year old class and got slammed for not listening even got called out for being “disruptive to the class” well in that she isn’t even 2 I am wondering just what they expect? I am guessing Mary needs to break these new teachers in just like she did us.  They did say one on one she listens great but if they pay attention to anyone else she is running around and not sitting down. I am shocked she is the only almost 2 year old doing this?  I talked to one of the other teachers (who is older) and she didn’t seem to think it was a big deal at all.  I guess we will see what she does today…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, what do they expect. She is normal and this is a learning experience. Really, she is just a baby.
Nana

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I bet those little ears hear everything that maybe they shouldn't. At that age they also start repeating things that we really didn't realize they heard. She is just being selective in what she wants to hear. Again, quite normal.
Nana

Anonymous said...

You know..I am sure you are both absolutely right! I bet if you were to look at the teachers manual there are two sets of expectations: One for our poor little Mary and one for all those other kids who are 2 already and have been for at least 2 weeks if not 3 weeks!

I am sure you already know this, but just in case I will remind you...at ever level of progress that Mary reaches, there will be a new standard for her to live up too. If she is always ahead of the game and Liz never receives a note regarding her progress then that is awesome. But if at some point a note is sent that Mary didn't already know how to read when she started kindergarten and now the teacher has to do her job and teach her to read...then you know that is ok. Yes Mary is just a toddler (not a baby)...and she (like others) may have some issues with transitioning into situations where she is expected to behave a certain way. That is OK! She has to learn.

I have struggled with one of my children in a way that is very similar to this since toddlerhood also. This child balked at trying to write their name. When I sat down with them and we discussed it, I was told they didn't want to because it didn't look the same as when I wrote their name. I explained that they were not expected to already know how to do this. The purpose of school was to learn how to do this. This same child has required reminding of this all through school. And that is ok too.

I guess to make my already long story short. She is young and has a lot of learning to do. She learns at home and at school. The expectations that are set and adhered too are the foundation for the person she will some day be.

For more information on raising your children...please email me at Idon'tknoweverythingbutIdothebestIcan@motherhood.com. Watch for my new best seller on parenting due on shelves soon (no longer than another 10 to 15 years)...as soon as my kids are all grown and gone and I see how everything turns out.

Been there...Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Mary will adapt to her new class. I do believe that a level of discipline , even at 2, is O.K. She has to know that there is a time when she has to do what her teacher wants her to do, even if it means sitting still for two minutes. The 2 year old who doesn't learn to listen, can be the 13 year old who doesn't think they have to listen to ANYBODY. Maybe you can observe the class from afar and come to your own conclusions. I think she'll get it as long as everyone is consistent.I guess I sound like the "law and order Grandma" That's why they call me the Bobo.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I am so coming down there!!! She is in a brand new room and the youngest one in there. Couldn't they think of anything positive to say on the first week?? The first day she is suppose to sit and listen like everyone else. What are they listening to anyway? Isn't playing their job at two? Surely they aren't making her sit in a chair and listen for long periods of time. Kids who are two are very active, and have to be moving most of the time. If she doesn't get it yet, work with her and help her learn it. Don't call her disruptive!! Aren't you allowed a little transition time. Even when teaching Kindergarten there are kids who can't sit still for more than 10 minutes. I agree with Nana, she is barely two!! Maybe their activities need to be a little more developmental. I am fired up!! Let them know I will be there in one short week!
Love, Auntie T

Anonymous said...

YikeS!! I would honestly be surprised if she is the only one acting like that! We take a weekly gymnastics class with up to 3 year olds and trust me, those 3 years old are worse than my "almost" 2 year old!