Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oh no...

I just opened my Pottery Barn for kids email and was browsing around the site and saw baskets with the name “Mary” embroidered.  Does that mean pregnant yuppies everywhere just got a new idea for a name? When I was pregnant with Courtney her name just popped in my head during dinner one night in March of 1984 I didn’t know anyone with that name. About a week after Courtney was born the Bruce Springsteen video “Dancing in the Dark” comes on MTV and America finds out the girl he is dancing with is Courteney Cox. Sure enough there was a slew of Courtney’s a year or two younger at school. I realize Mary was the #1 girls name for over 50 years (1890 – 1950) and then in the top 10 until 1980 but I had hoped everyone kind of forgot about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How to respond? Shouldn't then Courtney be Courteney? If you would have learned how to spell in school would Courtney now be dancing in the dark with Bruce Springsteen?
Remember that before you were born the first name that popped into our heads for you was Sunday. I wonder how that would have worked out. You might have been dancing in the dark with Ozzie Osbourne.
If you didn't want Mary to have a common name you should have went with one of my numerous suggestions. What's wrong with Marybelle, Marmalade, Mabeline, Madonna, Mary Lisa, or Martney? I still think Jamie Lou would have been perfect.
As far as the Pottery Barn baskets are concerned the answer is simple. With the economy the way it is and the fact that only a few people from Texas still shop there the baskets have probably been in their warehouse for the last fifty years because their have been so few girls named Mary to buy them.
I hope I have eased your mind, and that you realize that there are not thousands of little Mary's out there. Mary will have an unigue name unless of course you count the millions of illegal immigrant children that were named Mary for strictly religous purposes.

Anonymous said...

I thought we were being original with Ben. Out of 9 different elementary schools I taught at over the years I never had any Bens. And then we name our son and there are Bens all over the place. I think people copied us.